Borough endured another frustrating defeat as Truro City claimed a smash-and-grab victory at Priory Lane.

Adam Porter’s fourth goal of the season with 16 minutes to go proved the difference as the Sports failed to break down a stern defence.

The game was also marred by a double injury blow, with Alex Finney and Stefan Vukoje both forced off within the first half an hour.

Borough made four changes to the starting line-up that had lost narrowly to Bath seven days earlier. Dan Quick, Jay Beckford, Yaser Kasim and Alfie Bridgman all came in, with Shiloh Remy, Imran Uche and Freddie Carter missing out completely though injury and illness.

And any pre-match plans were immediately jeopardised when Finney was forced off injured just six minutes – Archie Procter coming on for his first action since the opening day.

Both teams looked to push forwards in a cagey first 45 minutes.

James Pardington was well placed to claim Sam Beard’s inswinging free-kick early on as both teams struggled to get a grip in the first half.

The visitors then went close midway through the first period when Will Dean’s corner picked out Sam Sanders, but Ben Dudzinski did well to tip the ball wide at full stretch.

Borough’s injury woes then grew when Vukoje then had to come off after a hefty challenge, as neither team did anything of note in the final third as the match reached the interval.

Mark Beard’s side dominated the ball in the second half, and created chances. Leone Gravata had a low effort go straight at the keeper before great defending from Ben Adelsbury denied Decarrey Sheriff from picking out an unmarked Bridgman at the far post.

Then came what proved to be Borough’s golden opening. Sheriff did well to weave his way inside from the left, and his low cross picked out Bridgman six yards out. After seeing his initial volley blocked by Ryan Law, the rebound again fell to the winger but he rushed his shot and skewed the ball wide.

And the Sports were made to pay 16 minutes from time when Porter was left unmarked to sweep home after the ball came in from the left.

Borough needed a response. Billy Vigar came off the bench to give them a bit of height in the final third, and the young Arsenal loanee almost made the desired impact. Beard whipped in a corner from the left and Vigar looked to get rid of his marker, but his bullet header was deflected just over.

And there was still time for one last push. Quick whipped in a ball in from the right and Jack Clarke timed his run to perfection, but sent his header just over the top.

Four minutes of stoppage time was announced, and it was with the last kick of the game that the Sports spurned another opportunity – Sheriff snatching at a loose ball after Truro failed to clear their lines – but the visitors got the ball to safety.

Borough know they need to turn dominance into goals, and into points, on the back of a third defeat in a row.