Eastbourne Borough dug deep and got their just rewards as two fine goals saw them overcome Weston-super-Mare.

Sam Beard and Yaser Kasim both scored spectacular goals to give the Sports a deserved win at Priory Lane.

Looking for a response after a run of defeats, Borough delivered just that in front of another 4-figure home crowd.

Mark Beard made one change from the 1-0 loss at Chelmsford City on Bank Holiday Monday, with Imran Uche coming in for just his second start of the season in place of Jay Beckford.

The Sports started on the front, with Decarrey Sheriff seeing his effort deflect just wide after a good recovery from Lloyd Humphries.

Both teams had a succession of corners early on, but defences held firm with Ben Dudzinski saving well from Dayle Grubb after sixteen minutes.

Sam Beard then went close for the hosts. A great crossfield pass from Freddie Carter picked out the left-back marauding forwards. He cut back onto his right foot, but saw his strike flash just wide of the top corner.

Beard then skewed over after good work from Uche down the right, before the half hour mark saw Borough create a great chance. The impressive Leone Gravata linked up with Sheriff to play through Billy Vigar, but his low drive was deflected just wide after taking too long to get his shot away.

And with half-time approached, the Sports went in front in style. Uche won a header and picked out Beard in space. He picked up the ball in space, and from 30 yards let fly with a spectacular effort that picked out the top corner, beyond the despairing dive of Luke Purnell.

After the break the Sports had a big chance to double their lead. Gravata played a neat ball through to Vigar, who broke down the right. However, Sheriff then was unlucky not to get on the end of his strike partner’s low ball in.

But Borough were made to pay for their misses. Weston grew into the game, and Dudzinski pulled off a fine save to keep out James Dodd’s bullet header. However, the Sports stopper couldn’t do a lot to prevent the Seagulls drawing level from the resulting corner.

Borough got Jordan Bastin’s corner away as far as Grubb just inside the area, and his low first-time drive through a crowded area crept its way into the bottom corner.

Dudzinski then produced a fine stop to deny Reuben Reid on the hour mark, before the Sports regained the lead with 17 minutes to go.

Brad Barry fed Gravata down the right. His low cross wasn’t cleared, and sat up for Kasim 20 yards out who took it on the half volley and he lashed the ball into the top corner.

Weston pushed forwards looking to equalise again, but instead it was the hosts who had chances to extend their lead further as time wore on. Beard had a low free-kick beaten away by Purnell diving to his right, before Kasim skewed wide after good work from Jack Paxman and Vigar.

This time the Sports had the goals – and the points – to match the performance, and the full-time whistle was greeted with almighty cheers from players and spectators around the ground as Borough secured their second win of the campaign.