Eastbourne Borough were made to pay for missed chances after suffered a narrow defeat at Yeovil Town.

It was a brave performance from the Sports, who won many admirers from the home support at Huish Park.

But ultimately they couldn’t take their chances in front of goal, with Josh Owers’ strike proving the difference as Yeovil won 3-2.

Mark Beard handed Fletcher Holman his first league start on the back of scoring at Havant in midweek, with Archie Procter also coming into the starting XI as Borough made two changes from the 2-1 win. New signing Zak Emmerson started on the bench.

Borough started on the front foot, and should have been ahead inside eight minutes. Jack Paxman’s free-kick was deflected into the path of Decarrey Sheriff, but from close range Joe Day managed to claw the ball off the line before the keeper made a great stop to deny Leone Gravata from the follow up.

However, it was the hosts who went ahead 12 minutes in. Jordan Young delivered a flat corner in from the left and picked out Frank Nouble who peeled away from his marker, and he made no mistake from eight yards out.

Injuries keep taking their toll on this Borough side, and they were dealt another early blow when Freddie Carter was forced off inside twenty minutes – Yaser Kasim coming on in his place with Brad Barry moving back into the back three.

The Sports looked to get back into the game, and had a chance to draw level before the half hour mark when Gravata released Holman, but one on one with Day scuffed his effort wide of the far corner.

The two then combined again, as the impressive Gravata fired in a low cross to Holman who this time caught his shot sweetly, but Josh Staunton blocked it on the line.

You could sense a goal was coming, and the Sports drew level after 36 minutes. Gravata had an effort blocked and the ball came back out to Jack Paxman on the edge and his low drive beat Day to find the bottom corner.

It was his first goal for the club, and he didn’t have to wait long for his second in Borough colours as the Sports turned the game on its head two minutes later.

Paxman found Holman inside the area, and the forward’s blocked shot fell kindly to Borough’s number 10 who slotted home from ten yards.

The Sports were well worth their lead, but were pinned back in first half stoppage time.

After saving well at the feet of Jordan Young, Ben Dudzinski was caught out moments later when he was beaten Sonny Blu Lo-Everton’s long ball by Nouble, who from a tough angle saw his shot creep inside the far post.

Neither team really got going in the early stages of the second half, but Yeovil regained their lead with just over twenty minutes to go. Jordan Stevens’ cross was cut out by Brad Barry but the ball fell to Josh Owers on the edge and his first time strike flew into the top corner.

Borough looked to get back into the game in the sweltering conditions, with Sheriff flashing an effort wide after good work from Emmerson, who came on to replace Holman for his debut.

Billy Vigar then came on as Beard searched for an equaliser. Day had to be alert to turn Paxman’s deflected cross over the bar, before the Sports had a big chance with seven minutes to go.

Emmerson linked up with Vigar who drove towards the Yeovil goal, slipping through Sheriff but one on one with Day saw his effort clip the outside of the post and go wide.

No one could fault the effort Borough put in, but ultimately missed chances mean they leave Huish Park empty-handed.

Finally, a massive shout-out to the 62 travelling supporters, who made themselves heard amongst the 2,728-strong crowd in Somerset. Thank you for your support.