Eastbourne Borough bowed out of the FA Youth Cup after a game of two halves at Worthing on Tuesday night.

The young Sports had a chance early on when Sam Sharma fed Lincoln Shearing inside the area, but his low drive was blocked by the diving Kristen Murphy.

However, Worthing broke the deadlock after seven minutes when an inswinging corner was kept alive by Cavan Gratwick and the ball dropped to Luke Harrison whose volley went in off the underside of the bar.

Ben Royall then had two efforts blocked by the Borough defence as the hosts threatened from another corner, but the young Sports fought back.

Shearing’s ball through down the right set Sam Sharma away, and his low ball in picked out Tyler Wood at the far post and he hammered home with a first time finish past Murphy at his near post.

Despite that, the hosts regained their lead just three minutes later. Harrison set Stanley Berry away out on the left, and he cut the ball across to Gratwick who slotted in from six yards.

Luca Allen was then released inside the area, but Ethan Pike did well to save with an outstretched foot.

Allen then had another effort deflected just wide of the post, before the Sports had the ball in the net but Wood was judged to be offside as he broke through to go clean through on goal.

Borough then had half a chance to go through on goal, but Wood’s pass was overhit to Sharma and the Sports lost all momentum, with Jake Prodger’s eventual shot going well wide.

Mostyn Price made a double change at the break, with Jacob Hill and Malachy Scullion coming on for Teddy Howard and Wood, and Borough’s high press almost paid off within the first four minutes of the restart. The Sports won the ball in the Worthing area, but Ashley Crabb’s shot was blocked by a covering defender.

Scullion then had a shot blocked by a home defender after being teed up by Crabb, with Tom Allen’s effort from the rebound straight at Murphy from outside the area as the Sports grew in confidence.

And they got themselves back in the tie just after the hour mark. Shearing went on a great solo run and cut through the home defence, only to be hacked down by keeper Murphy and the referee pointed to the spot. Crabb stepped up, and sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 3-2.

The Sports’ pressure continued, as Hill won the ball on the edge of the Worthing area but saw his shot tipped over the bar by Murphy.

Borough kept pushing, and could have drawn level but Jimmy Holman couldn’t get a clean connection on his header from Shearing’s free-kick in and the keeper could save.

Hill then met Crabb’s flick from a long throw with a fierce first time strike, but it was blocked by Ben Cheverton.

Worthing nearly wrapped the tie up as the game entered stoppage time. After playing a short corner, Costin Manchester was allowed to drift inside and saw his shot come back off the bar.

However, the hosts did add a fourth to seal the win late on when Gratwick led a counter attack, shifted the ball onto his right foot and slotted home.