Eastbourne Borough added a point to their National League South tally after an eventful draw at Dover Athletic.

Zak Emmerson put Borough in front at The Crabble, but only for Dontai Stewart to fire the hosts level shortly after half-time.

Both teams then had chances to win as the game opened up in the latter stages, but the points were shared on a wet and windy night on the Kent coast.

Borough were able to name five substitutes, and welcomed back Imran Uche, Leone Gravata, Emmerson, Callum Kealy and Michael Olarewaju to the starting line up.

And Mark Beard’s side had the first half chance of the evening within two minutes. Lucas Defise – making his league debut – pumped a free-kick into the box and picked out Emmerson but he couldn’t get enough on his header to direct it on target.

Fletcher Holman was a thorn in Dover’s side throughout, and he had his first effort on goal after 11 minutes but saw his drive beaten away by Billy Terrell after cutting inside from the left.

The Sports were then dealt a blow when Gravata was forced off injured, with Dan Quick coming on in his place.

Holman and then Kealy had efforts blocked by the Dover defence, before the hosts created their first chance.

Iffy Allen was a threat down the right, and he played a neat one-two with Luke Pearce before seeing his shot palmed away by Harrison Foulkes at his near post.

Stewart then sliced wide from six yards out, before Borough broke the deadlock shortly before the break.

Holman was released down the right hand side and he chose to be unselfish and shift the ball across to Emmerson who tapped in at the far post.

However, Dover made a quick start and drew level within five minutes of the second half. Bailey Akehurst picked out Stewart on the edge of the box and he found space to pick out the bottom corner with a low strike.

Foulkes then had to be alert to save at the feet of Pearce – the Southampton loanee who also had a spell with the Sports last season.

But as the hour mark approached, the visitors had a string of chances to regain their lead.

Holman pounced on a loose pass from Henry Young, only to see his left footed effort parried away by Terrell before substitute Shiloh Remy – on at half-time in place of Emmerson – should have hit the target when through on goal.

Holman then had an overhead kick go narrowly over the bar, before Dover themselves had a good chance when Paris Lock cut the ball across from the right and find the run of George Wilkinson but Foulkes spread himself well to save.

Lock had another chance to pick out a Dover team-mate as he broke into the box with ten minutes to go, but a big challenge from Olarewaju denied the hosts.

Then with one minute of normal time to go, the Sports had Foulkes to thank for keeping them level. John Oyenga’s ball in eventually ran to sub Zidan Sutherland at the far post, but the Borough keeper got across his goal and made a superb save to deny him from close range.

Sutherland then had a goal ruled out for offside, before the Sports had one final chance to take all three points in stoppage time.

Quick fired in a ball from the right and after appeals for handball were waved away it dropped to the feet of Holman, but from six yards out he saw his effort kept out at point-blank range by Terrell.

So a point apiece, and the Sports will be looking to add to that when they travel to Hemel Hempstead Town on Saturday.