Eastbourne Borough had their chances at Gallagher Stadium, but were punished for not taking them as they fell to a 2-0 loss.

Goals either side of half-time from Devonte Aransibia and Levi Amantchi were enough for Maidstone to continue their good run of form.

But it could have been different had the Sports been clinical themselves as they slipped into the National League South relegation zone.

Mark Beard made two changes to the team that lost at Chippenham on Saturday, with Ben Dudzinski returning in goal and Dan Quick replacing Jay Beckford, who dropped to the bench.

And the Sports had a golden chance to go in front with barely three minutes on the clock. Decarrey Sheriff was given room to cut in from the right and his cross floated towards the back post and picked out Fletcher Holman, but his low header from close range was clawed out of the bottom corner by Lucas Covolan.

Borough’s game plan was to sit back and frustrate Maidstone, and as a result of some good organisation, chances were hard to come by for the hosts.

Dudzinski got his body behind Sol Wanjau-Smith’s low effort, before the Sports stopper was called upon midway through the first half.

Aransibia’s free-kick in was met by George Fowler at the far post, and Dudzinski showed great reflexes to get down and turn the ball around the post.

Razzaq Coleman De-Graft later couldn’t connect with Aransibia’s low ball across, before the Stones were awarded a contentious penalty. Brad Barry brought down Wanjau-Smith inside the area and the loose ball fell to Matt Rush, but he could only fire wide. However, despite having the advantage of the shot, the referee pulled play back and awarded Maidstone a penalty.

Aransibia stepped up and sent Dudzinski the wrong way to put the hosts in front after 42 minutes.

Borough, though, should have been level moments later. Holman did well down the left to cut in past Gavin Hoyte and he put the ball on a plate for Sheriff, but he blazed over from inside six yards with the goal at his mercy.

With the last play of the half, the hosts went close to doubling their lead. A corner from the left was cleared only as far as Fowler, who had a go on the volley but the ball clipped the top of the bar.

Quick then did well to block Sam Bone’s rasping drive shortly after the break, before Coleman De-Graft saw a low effort come back off the foot of the post as Maidstone started the second period on the front foot.

Borough were then dealt another injury blow when Brad Barry was forced off with a hamstring issue. Yaser Kasim came on in his place.

Chances continued to be few and far between as the Sports searched for a way back into the game, but they were dealt a hammer blow on 70 minutes.

Aransibia broke onto Liam Sole’s ball down the right, and his cross picked out substitute Amantchi who was on hand to volley past Dudzinski.

It was almost 3-0 in stoppage time, but Borough’s keeper pulled off a fine save to get down and prevent Michael Petrasso’s low drive from finding the bottom corner.

The Sports almost got something for their efforts in the dying embers. George Brown – fresh from signing on a dual-registration – came off the bench for his debut and had hit a fierce first-time strike from 30 yards, but it was blocked by Raphe Brown.