Eastbourne Borough slipped to defeat at home to Tonbridge Angels on Tuesday night.

The Sports were on top in the first half, but were given a sucker punch when Jamie Fielding fired home in first half stoppage time.

And Borough never really recovered at Priory Lane, with an own goal and then Jordan Greenidge condemning the hosts to a 3-0 loss – their heaviest of the campaign.

Mark Beard’s selection dilemmas continued with two more injuries making an impact on team selection. Jack Clarke and Leone Gravata were both out after Saturday’s win over Braintree, with Yaser Kasim and Zak Emmerson making starts. The Sports could also only name two outfield players on the subs bench.

The Sports started on the front foot, as Fletcher Holman cut inside past Fielding from the left but his effort went straight at Jonathan Henly.

Eight minutes were on the clock when the Angels keeper pulled off a fine stop to keep the deadlock intact. A cross in from the right ran to Decarrey Sheriff, and he darted past Tariq Hinds but only to see his low drive turned away by the diving Henly.

Chances remained at a premium, but the hosts felt aggrieved when Holman went down under a challenge inside the area, but Isaac Searle remained unmoved.

The best opportunity of the half then fell to the Sports with 34 minutes gone. Emmerson swung in a cross from the left and picked out an unmarked Michael Olarewaju, but he could only head over from a good position.

And just when it looked like the deadlock would remain intact heading into the break, the Sports were dealt a blow.

Sean Shields swung in Tonbridge’s first corner of the half from the right and it fell to Fielding, who had an effort blocked before he fired the loose ball beyond Ben Dudzinski and into the bottom corner.

Emmerson limped off at half-time and was replaced by Jay Beckford as Borough continued to enjoy more of the ball after the interval.

But they failed to break down a stern Tonbridge defence, and the visitors doubled their lead just before the hour mark.

Angels worked a free-kick short to Shields on the left. His cross evaded everyone, but came back off the far post only for the ball to go back into the net off of the unfortunate Dan Quick.

Callum Kealy had half a chance from Quick’s long throw but saw his header saved low by Henly, before Tonbridge added to the Sports’ woes seven minutes from time.

Joseph Tyrie broke down the left and he cut the ball back across to Greenidge inside the six yard box, and his backheel crept inside the far corner.

The Sports had moments late on to get a goal back, with Holman stinging the palms of Henly before Alfie Bridgman whipped in a great ball and picked out Sheriff, but he could only head over.