Eastbourne Borough Under 18s returned to winning ways after grinding out victory away at Horsham YMCA.

Jake Prodger and Lincoln Shearing got the goals for the young Sports at Gorings Mead in the second half, but only after Toby Whiteside saved a first half penalty.

The 2-0 success lifts Borough up to eighth in the Isthmian Youth League South standings.

Both teams had chances in an even first few minutes. Prodger had a good opportunity when he met Malachy Scullion’s cross but could only head wide when well placed, before Whiteside was forced into action when he saved well from Nathan Jones’ low drive.

Both sides struggled on a heavy pitch to find their rhythm, and the Sports were made to resort to efforts from range.

However, they came within inches of breaking the deadlock in style. Space opened up for Prodger in midfield and he tried his luck 35 yards out – only to see the ball cannon back off the bar with the keeper beaten.

Liam Nakazawa then had to be alert in the YM goal to keep Shearing’s effort from outside the area out, before the hosts were given the chance to go in front.

Archie Grant was guilty of fouling a YM forward breaking into the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Lewis Shivnarain stepped up, but Whiteside guessed correctly and made a fine save diving to his left to keep the scores level going into the break.

Borough came out on the front foot after half-time and went close to going in front when Tyler Wood was given room on the edge of the area but saw his shot tipped over the bar by Nakazawa.

And Mostyn Price’s side went in front just before the hour mark. Grant fired a ball in from the right and picked out the run of Prodger who glanced his header beyond the keeper from eight yards out.

The young Sports didn’t rest on their lead, and went in search of a second. Wood played the ball into Jacob Hill but he fired wide of the near post.

With fifteen minutes to go Wood and Prodger linked up well to put Shearing through on goal, but his shot came back off the post after deflecting off the advancing keeper.

All the while the score was only 1-0 the Sports couldn’t sit back, but they managed to double their lead with seven minutes to go.

Borough pressed high and Shearing won the ball back off a home defender before taking the ball around Nakazawa and firing into the empty net.

And it was almost 3-0 in stoppage time as Hill did well to find Wood, but he saw his shot tipped onto the post by the keeper.