Freddie Carter and Callum Kealy were on target as Eastbourne Borough secured three points at Welling United.

The 2-0 win at J Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium sees the Sports return to winning ways ahead of a busy festive period.

And the victory also moves Mark Beard’s side ahead of their hosts and level on points with Slough Town, with an important clean sheet to boot.

After almost 20 days without a league game, the Sports could call upon a handful of players who had returned from injury. Brad Barry returned to captain the team in defence, with Jack Paxman also starting. There was also a place for Sam Beard following his permanent signing from Barnet in the week.

In a real scrappy affair, it was the Sports who created the first real chance after five minutes when Beard lifted the ball in from the left and picked out Decarrey Sheriff at the far post, but his header back across goal went just wide.

Welling then threatened when space opened up for Antony Papadopoulos, but his effort took a deflection and looped narrowly over the top corner.

Borough were then dealt an injury blow as David Sesay was forced off through injury – with Camron Gbadebo coming on for his debut.

And the hosts looked to wrestle control of proceedings and went close to going in front on the half hour mark.

Tristan Abrahams had the ball in the net but was flagged offside, before Harrison Foulkes was called upon for the first time. Papadopoulos turned on the edge of the area and saw his shot pushed away as far as Jephte Tanga, but Foulkes reacted well to make a smart stop.

The Borough keeper then had to be alert to parry away Kain Adom’s swerving effort, before he produced an outstanding save to tip Lachlan Byrd’s header away from the top corner.

But back came the Sports, with Callum Kealy not quite getting enough on his near post flick to test Reice Charles-Cook.

The visitors then broke the deadlock just before half-time. Beard whipped in a corner to the far post, and Barry headed the ball back across to Carter who glanced the ball into the top corner from six yards.

Injuries have hampered the Sports’ progress this season, and they were dealt another blow before the break when Gbadebo – a former Leicester and Manchester City trainee – was forced off barely 20 minutes after coming on himself.

Borough looked to get on the front foot at the start of the second half, with Sheriff cutting in onto his left foot before firing straight at Charles-Cook before the strong travelling support were given a further cause to cheer.

Paxman did well to find the feet of Kealy inside the area and after taking one touch to control the ball, he used his second to thump it beyond Charles-Cook and into the bottom corner.

At 2-0 up, the Sports were to go on and show great defensive mettle, and bookings were picked up by both teams as the game threatened to boil over at periods.

Foulkes did well to not only save, but hold Abrahams’ low free-kick from just outside the area before Borough almost made it 3-0 but Sheriff pulled his shot wide of the near post after beating Adom.

And the young Borough keeper wasn’t to be denied a first clean sheet of the campaign. He was off his line well to save at the feet of substitute Enoch Muwonge before Dominic Odusanya’s effort was pushed away.

With Welling pressing forwards, the impressive Foulkes kept them at bay once again in stoppage time. Anthony Grant’s scuffed shot fell kindly to Adom, but the keeper scrambled across to get there and keep his effort out.

A big three points for the Sports, and they will be looking to carry this momentum forwards ahead of a testing festive schedule.