Eastbourne Borough moved within two points of safety after a well earned draw with Slough Town at Arbour Park.

Moussa Diarra’s early effort put the Sports on course for three points in Berkshire.

But it wasn’t meant to be, with Leon Chambers-Parillon’s header ten minutes from time earning the hosts a point.

Both teams went close to winning the game late on, but the Sports will be pleased to be leaving with something to show for their battling efforts.

Borough were forced into one change from the team that started Tuesday night’s abandoned game at Truro, with Diarra returning from injury to replace the stricken Alex Finney.

And the towering centre half needed little time to mark his return to action in style.

Just over a minute had passed when Pierce Bird’s long throw in wasn’t fully cleared, and Jack Clarke swung the ball back in to an unmarked Diarra at the far post who volleyed beyond Dan Lincoln.

It was a frantic first fifteen minutes, with both teams having chances to score. Dan Bayliss headed wide from a good position for the hosts, before Yahya Bamba raced clear for the Sports, but was denied by Lincoln as the winger looked to take the ball around the goalkeeper.

Slough were then denied by the offside flag when Slavi Spasov tapped in Matt Lench’s low cross, before the home striker was penalised once again after helping Josh Jackman’s goalbound drive over the line with half an hour gone.

Decarrey Sheriff then helped Diarra’s long throw to the far post and the ball dropped to Alfie Bendle, but his shot on the half-volley was deflected just wide.

The Sports were determined to go into the break in front, but were nearly pegged back in first half stoppage time when Spasov rose well to meet Lench’s corner, but he headed wide.

Adam Murray’s side looked to get on the front foot as the game got back underway, with Siya Ligendza trying his luck from 20 yards out before Bamba’s low drive clipped the side netting from a tight angle.

After making a treble substitution on the hour mark, Slough started to enjoy more possession as time wore on, but without really testing Harrison Foulkes.

Instead, it was Borough who almost doubled their lead with 17 minutes to go. Dan Quick’s free-kick forwards was chested down by substitute Matt Green to Bendle, and his first time strike bound for the bottom corner was tipped wide by the outstretched Lincoln.

Three minutes later though, the Sports had to defend well when John Goddard’s drive across goal was turned away by Foulkes, and the rebound fell to Chambers-Parillon whose effort was well blocked by Bendle.

But as the clock struck 80 minutes, Borough’s defence was breached. Lench launched a free-kick forwards from the right and picked out an unmarked Chambers-Parillon who directed his header into the top corner.

Both teams looked for a winning goal as the game opened up late on. Quick released Green who drove at goal, but after being ushered away from goal by a defender saw his shot saved by the body of Lincoln before Freddie Carter burst down the right but his low effort was straight at Lincoln.

Hearts were then in Borough mouths, however, as the hosts went within a whisker of a winner. Sub Trae Cook-Appiah was first to a loose ball on the left, and he cut inside before his strike cannoned off the angle of post and bar with Foulkes beaten.

There was still time for Quick to have a chance to get a winner, but his shot was beaten away by Lincoln as the Sports settled for a share of the spoils.